Saturday 24 March 2012

Week 4 - They Say Anyone Can Play Guitar

Over the last week I have been practising power chords, but it's been painful due to issues with the old fracture on my left wrist. I hope the trouble I'm having with my wrist will ease off - I can go for a very long time without even thinking of it, then for many months it can bother me more than usual, and this is such a time.

I lowered the bridge of my guitar by sanding it down. It turns out that it is a fairly cheap plastic bridge and replacements can easily be bought from Amazon. After I sanded down the bridge I found it easier to play, but I felt the sound had changed slightly for the worse and wondered if I had taken a bit too much off. I ordered a better quality bridge. When it arrived I noticed in the instructions that came with the bridge that it suggested it be sanded down to the right height so the low E was about 3mm from the 12 fret and the high E 2mm from the fret. I gave it a sand down then tried to fit it. It turned out to be too tight a fit. I had to grab it with pliers to get it back out. Looking at the fitting instructions on the packaging again, it also suggested that it be sanded to the correct thickness too! 

The new bridge is in now but I still think I haven't taken enough off  the height yet. I will have another go, and perhaps buying some cheaper bridges so I can mess about with the height of them to find a height and sound that I'm happy with. I can just imagine all you great guitar players out there shaking your heads in disbelief at me butchering my guitar.

I've not had a great deal of time on my guitar this week due to the weather getting nicer and working in my garden - got a lot of digging to do - so I've still not really improved any since last week. I have, however been challenged to learn a bit from Dueling Banjos which is an instrumental featured in the film Deliverance. I'm working on that now, just for a bit of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment